Don't Have Time to Get Outdoors?
If it were only up to me, I would like to think that I would have the self-discipline to get out regularly, but I don't know. Or, what if I had kids who were resistant to the idea? Again, I am just not certain.
So my advice on what to do might be seen as coming from someone who has no first-hand experience. I admit this is true, but I am able to convey knowledge I have gathered on the subject.
According to Maller, Townsend, St Leger, Henderson-Wilson, Pryor, Prosser, and Moore (2010), "...modern society, by its very essence, insulates people from outdoor environmental stimuli and regular contact with nature." It seems intuitive that a portion of this "insulation" occurs because of our crazy schedules. But is there really a negative impact?
For children there are certainly benefits to being in the outdoors. "Children have to be outside because there things they need - for example, fresh air, sun and daylight. They need to learn not to be frightened of outside but to simply see it as part of life, just as water is. Children with the greater outdoor experiences showed greater skills in 'concentration, play, creativity, motor ability, and control'" (Outdoor Learning in the Early Years, Bilton, 2010). The implication here is that the converse of being in the outdoors to some extent does have negative consequences. But how do we find time?
There is no way we can create time, so there must be a prioritization that puts getting in the outdoors at the forefront. The National Wildlife Federation suggests a daily "Green Hour." They characterize this as being "time for unstructured play and interaction with the natural world."
Clearly, there are many additional and more elaborate ways we can get out and enjoy the outdoors. We will publish some posts in upcoming days that give ideas for activities in various environments and for varying amounts of time. Until then, why wait? Get out today, rain or shine, and appreciate what is right there in your world.
Comments
Post a Comment