South Dakota state parks will be holding several special events the last weekend in June. These activities are a great way to spend timeoutdoors with your family.
Make plans to attend the following events:
- Family Fun Days, Pickerel Lake Recreation Area near Waubay. . Enjoy a fun-filled weekend with games, contests, skits, food and fun for the whole family. Activities are held at the west campground. Info: 605-486-4753
- South Dakota Survival Weekend, Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon. . Learn how to survive without the comforts of home. Join us for a weekend of programs, including fire making, edible plants, shelter building, knot tying and more! Info:605-582-7243
- Becoming an Outdoor Family, Roy Lake State Park near Lake City. .Becoming an Outdoor Family is a weekend full of fun, camping and outdoor activities. For just $50 per family, participants get an electrical campsite for two nights, their choice of several outdoor skill classes, program materials and use of equipment. Participants are responsible for providing their own campers or tents, and camping will be on designated sites. Pre-registration is required. Info: 605-773-7048.
- Outrageous Outdoors, Adams Homestead and Nature Preserve near North Sioux City. . Come and enjoy two hours of nature games and activities in the great outdoors. Children ages 6 to 10 years old welcome. Pre-register/Info: 605-232-0873.
- Roots, shoots, seeds and fruits hike, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton. . Walk and talk with us and learn about the variety of plants found along our beautiful trail. Hikers 12 years and older welcome. Info: 605-668-2985
- Nature Hike, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. . Join the park naturalist on a Nature Hike through the new Good Earth State Park which is within the Blood Run National Historic Landmark. The area is significant for its history as a settlement for thousands of American Indians. This nature walk will be an intro and exploration of the new Good Earth State Park at Blood Run – the 13th S.D. State Park and first in 40 years. Info: 605-987-2263or email@example.com. Pre-registration: 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org.
- Dutch Oven Cooking Demonstration, Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington. .Join us for a demonstration on how to cook in a Dutch oven. Info: 605-983-5085
- Extreme Amazing Race, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. . Have you ever seen the TV show The Amazing Race? Newton Hills now has their own! The Extreme Amazing Race will be a foot race, and it will be more intense than our traditional Family Fun Amazing Race. The race will be about 3.5 miles long with many challenges along the way. Info:605-987-2263
The programs are open to all ages. There is no charge to participate in the events; however, a park entrance license is required to enter the parks.
For more information on activities in the S.D. state parks, visitwww.gfp.sd.gov, contact the individual park office or call 605-773-3391.