South Dakota state parks will hold several special events over Father’s Day weekend. The activities are a great way to spend a summer day with your family.
- The Big Mick, George S. Mickelson Trail in the Black Hills. Info: 605-584-3896 or on the www.thebigmick.org
- Dakotaman Triathlon, Lake Alvin Recreation Area near Harrisburg. Info:, http://www.dakotamantriathlon.
- Nature Hike: Nature’s Bounty, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Info: 605-987-2263 or ,email@example.com. Pre-registration: 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org.
- Archery for Beginners, North Point Recreation Area near Pickstown. Info: 605-487-7046.
- Dutch Oven Cooking Demo, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Bruce. Info: 605-627-5441,
- Kids’ Fishing Derby, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area. This event was rescheduled from June 1 due to weather. Info: 605-223-7722,
- Senses Hike, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Info: 605-987-2263,
- Lewis and Clark Homestead Day, Pierson Ranch Recreation Area near Yankton. Info: 605-668-2985 at
- Nature Hike, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Info: 605-987-2263 or, firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-registration 605-362-2777or www.outdoorcampus.org.
- Prehistoric Outdoor Games, Palisades State Park near Garretson. Info: 605-594-3824,
- Pioneer Day, Lake Thompson Recreation Area near Arlington. Info: 605-847-4893.
- Whooo Lives in a Tree, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Info: 605-987-2263,
- Father’s Day Treats for Dad, Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington. Info: 605-983-5085,
- Father’s Day Bluebird Box Workshop, Angostura Recreation Area near Hot Springs. Info: 605-745-6996 at
- Techno Treasure Hunt Walk in the Park, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area near Fort Pierre, . This event was rescheduled from June 8. Info: 605-223-7722
- Lantern Tour, Fort Sisseton Historic State Park near Lake City. Info: 605-448-5474 at
- Shin’uda Mon’thin (Walking with Dogs), Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Info: 605-987-2263 or, email@example.com. Pre-registration: 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org
Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. There is no cost to participate in most of the events however, park entrance licenses are required. Registration fees are required for The Big Mick and the Dakotaman Triathlon.
For more information on activities in the SD state parks, visit www.gfp.sd.gov, contact the individual park office, or call 605-773-3391.