“We have the greatest sportspersons' groups and hunting industry right here in Michigan,” said Department of Natural Resources wildlife outreach technician Katie Keen. “It’s great that we can work together to help the resource, as well as making the dreams of three lucky hunters come true.”
Every year, three winners are chosen by random drawing to win hunting licenses and gear. Each winner is awarded an elk, bear, spring and fall turkey, and antlerless deer license, as well as first pick opening morning at any managed waterfowl area.
In addition to the licenses, winners receive prize packages donated by sportspersons' groups and the hunting industry that have totaled in value over $4,000 each. Shotguns, rifles, crossbows, camouflage clothing and memberships to natural resources groups are just some of the prizes.
This year’s Pure Michigan Hunt is brought to you by Michigan Outdoor News and the following sponsors:
- Michigan Gun Owners in Dearborn Heights
- Ducks Unlimited - Michigan Chapter
- Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association in St. Johns
- National Wild Turkey Federation - Michigan Chapter
- Quality Deer Management Association - Michigan Chapter
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation - Michigan Chapter
- East Lake Outfitters in Essexville
- Safari Club International - National and Mid-Michigan Chapter
- Darton Archery in Hale
- The Trophy Room Taxidermy Studio with RJ Meyer in Jay's of Clare
- Carhartt in Dearborn
- Ameristep in Grand Prairie, Texas
- Kwikee Kwiver in Williamsburg
- Harmon Scents in Williamsburg
- 9&10 News in Cadillac
- MUCC in Lansing
- St. Clair Flats Waterfowlers Inc. in Clay
- Saginaw Field and Stream Club in Saginaw
The most recent Pure Michigan Hunt winners – Frank Zrepskey of Algonac, Bruce Shaneour of Osseo and Bill Kring of Cadillac – all are currently getting ready for their spring turkey hunt. As Pure Michigan Hunt winners, they can hunt in any open turkey unit in the state, any day turkey hunting is allowed in that unit. Each winner also will be able to take advantage of a guided, two-day and two-night turkey hunt that includes food and lodging donated by East Lake Outfitters in Essexville. Look for highlights of their 2014 hunting adventures in the coming months.
All dollars generated from the Pure Michigan Hunt fund wildlife and habitat management work in Michigan.
“The Pure Michigan Hunt is an exciting way to showcase everything Michigan has to offer,” said Keen. “This is a wonderful opportunity for hunters to show their support and to also have a shot at the hunt of a lifetime.”
Hunters who would like to be in the drawing for the next Pure Michigan Hunt can purchase unlimited $5 applications anywhere hunting licenses are sold or online at www.mdnr-elicense.com (look for item #300). Applicants can enter as many times as they would like until www.michigan.gov/
puremichiganhunt for more information.. Winners will be drawn in January 2015. Visit