The Department of Natural Resources today announced the three winners of the seventh annual Pure Michigan Hunt. Jeff Kresnak of Caledonia, Mike Scherzer of Freeland and Makayla Fleetwood of Bloomingdale each won a pocket full of licenses and more than $4,000 worth of hunting gear.
“I thought it was a prank call by one of my family members,” said Kresnak. “But after I figured out it wasn’t a prank, I was ecstatic and thrilled to be a winner! This will be a great opportunity to hunt and spend quality time with my four daughters.”
Scherzer said he was elated when get got the call from DNR Wildlife Division Chief Russ Mason, letting him know he had won. “My first reaction was – you’ve got to be kidding me!”
Fleetwood is the first female hunter in Pure Michigan Hunt history. “I was shocked at first,” she said. “I didn’t think this would ever happen to me. I am very grateful for this opportunity.”
Each $5 Pure Michigan Hunt application purchased helps fund wildlife habitat restoration and management in Michigan.
Each winner receives elk, bear, spring and fall turkey, and antlerless deer licenses to be used in 2016. In addition – along with three hunting companions – the winners will get first pick opening morning of the waterfowl season at any of Michigan’s premier managed waterfowl hunt areas. Kresnak, Scherzer and Fleetwood each also won a package of gear donated by Michigan businesses and organizations:
- Annual subscription, camouflage hat, current copies of publication and Outdoor Print of the Year – Michigan Outdoor News
- Camouflage pop-up blind – Ameristep of Clio
- 12-gauge camouflage shotgun – Michigan Ducks Unlimited
- Terminator II crossbow – Darton Archery of Hale
- Marlin x7 30.06 bolt-action rifle – Dick Williams Gun Shop of Saginaw
- Go-Pro outdoor camera – St. Clair Flats Waterfowlers, Inc.
- Quiver accessories – Kwikee Kwiver of Williamsburg
- Hunting accessories – Harmon Scents of Williamsburg
- Custom waterfowl mount – The Trophy Room of Clare
- Traps, DVDs, calls and more – Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association
- Turkey hunting gear – Michigan Chapter of National Wild Turkey Federation
- Deer/habitat management package – Michigan Chapter of Quality Deer Management Association
- $100 Cabela’s gift card – Saginaw Field and Stream Club
- Made in the USA quilt-lined Realtree Xtra® jackets and bib overalls – Carhartt of Dearborn
- Shotgun case and hat – Ruffed Grouse Society
- Eberlestock team elk pack – Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- Two-day/two-night guided hunt – winner’s choice between guided turkey, deer or bear hunt; includes lodging and food – East Lake Outfitters of Essexville
- Memberships – National and Mid-Michigan Chapter of Safari Club International
- Custom shooting ear plugs and hat – Michigan Hearing of Lake Orion
- Half-day, fully guided five-bird pheasant hunt – Bear Creek Hunt Club of Clayton
- $100 gas card – MUCC of Lansing
- $100 Jay’s Sporting Goods gift card – 9&10 News of Cadillac
- BrewVine passports valued at $100 – BrewVine of Northern Michigan
- Sweatshirt and hat – Waterfowl USA of Erie
- Fletching Kit – Bohning Archery of Lake City
- Personalized Pure Michigan Hunt hat and engraved knife – Michigan Planners of Garfield Township
- Framed and matted 2015 Michigan duck stamp print – Michigan Duck Hunters Association
The winners will be awarded their prizes officially at the next Natural Resources Commission meetingin Detroit.
The 2016 drawing had a total of 35,336 applications purchased by 13,055 individuals, which generated more than $176,000 to help wildlife habitat restoration and improvements in Michigan.
Applications for the next Pure Michigan Hunt drawing will be available starting www.mi.gov/pmh.. For more information, visit